Hallowell Davis

One of my teachers, Dr. Hallowell Davis, was an extraordinary scientist. And also an extraordinary human being. He was Director of Research at the CID (Central Institute for the Deaf), in Saint Louis.

During his Harvard days, in the 30's, he helped to develop electroencephalography. At CID he studied cochlear physiology and, among many other things, discovered the summating potentials.

He was the father of electric response audiometry, on which he was already working when I left Saint Louis. I remember saying in a meeting, in the late 60's, that soon we would be able to measure auditory thresholds in children using computers. Everyone thought that it was my imagination, that I was too involved in science fiction...

One of my theses, The Evolution of a Sensory Organ, was almost totally based on Dr.Davis’ teachings.

Besides being a great neurophysiologist, he also had an extraordinary sense of humor. On the wall of his office at the Central Institute for the Deaf was a sign that read:

Don’t confuse me with facts; my mind is made up.

I am very proud to have contributed a chapter for the book that his disciples wrote as a gift for his 80th birthday: Hearing and Davis – essays honoring Hallowell Davis. 

Next: The Labyrinth

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Otology and Neurotology - Past, Present and Future - II

Malpighi

Jack Urban