The American Otological Society


I was in Los Angeles for a COSM Meeting in 1993. My wife and I were calmly watching television in the morning when the telephone rang. It was Bill House.

“Marlene,” he said, “I was at the Business Meeting of the Otological Society and Pedro was nominated an Honorary Member. You two must come to the dinner tonight. It will be a formal dinner.”

I was flabbergasted! Becoming an Honorary Member of such an important Society was much more than I ever could expect. And I had no tuxedo. What was I going to do? But when Bill House says “you must come” one just has to do it.

My wife calmed me down. She called the hotel’s concierge and he found us a place where I could rent a tuxedo. And we went to the dinner.


At the AOS Dinner, between two good friends, Drs. Eugene Myers (left) and William House (right).

The American Otological Society was founded in 1868 and has had annual meetings since then, except for one year in which there was a railroad strike and two years during the Second World War because of transportation difficulties. It has always been, and continues to be an outstanding organization who has continuously fought for the progress of Otology.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Otology and Neurotology - Past, Present and Future - II

Malpighi

Jack Urban