Tornados – a Reminiscence

Recently a tornado destroyed part of Saint Louis Airport. A picture showed a van on top of a building. It shows how much energy is liberated.

It reminded me of my experience with another tornado in Saint Louis. I think it was in 1959. I had traveled to New York for a medical meeting. I spent three days there and then flew back to Saint Louis. When I arrived at my apartment the porter told me. “You can’t sleep here.” “Why? I asked him with some indignation. “The tornado ran through your apartment.” I went up and took a look. All of the windows had been broken and there were pieces of glass all over the place. Some big boards were nailed to the windows to keep out the wind and the rain, but they did not have time to clean the apartment. They had been busy all day, but since I was away, they chose to fix other apartments first.

There was a nice hotel just across the street. They were very nice and gave me a special rate. “We lost a few rooms, too,” the manager told me.

I distinctly remember the picture on next morning’s Saint Louis Post Dispatch, a fine newspaper founded by Joseph Pulitzer, who became famous with the Pulitzer prizes. The photo showed a wood post that was hit by a large piece of glass. We could see that the glass went through the post completely, its sharp edge protruded from the other side. That also shows how much energy we are talking about.

A couple of blocks north of my apartment there was a slum area which was severely destroyed by the tornado. Saint Louis’ young artists then found an opportunity to transform this small area into a cultural center. They used the demolition materials to build theaters and music halls. I remember one special place, The Crystal Palace, where there were plays and musicals and where they served drinks while we watched the shows. It was there that I first heard Tommy Wolf’s songs. As well as some very sophisticated New Jazz ensembles and very traditional New Orleans jazz musicians.

Tornados can be very destructive. But occasionally they can bring us nice surprises.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Otology and Neurotology - Past, Present and Future - II

Jack Urban

Malpighi